Sunday, November 20, 2011

Rosemary Mashed Sweet Potatoes


At Thanksgiving, it seems that the sweet potato casseroles are always loaded with sugar.  It feels more like a dessert than a side dish.  The other day I ran across a recipe in the Nov/Dec 2011 issue of Clean Eating magazine.  I adapted the recipe a little bit and my husband and I loved it, it went great with the baked turkey breast I made.

Ingredients:
4 lbs sweet potatoes, scrubbed well
1 head garlic, cloves separated and unpeeled
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  I put my sweet potatoes in my potato bag that my friend, Jo Ann  gave me for cat sitting one weekend.  Then place the bag in the microwave and I use the Potato button on my microwave.  I enter how many potatoes I have and it calculates the time for me.  If you don't have a potato bag, you can prick the potatoes and place in the microwave.  I would bake them 5 minutes per potato, flipping potatoes half way through cooking.  They should be very tender when done.  If they aren't soft then microwave them some more.

Meanwhile, loosely wrap garlic in foil, sealing it.  Place on a cookie sheet ( I had my turkey breast in the oven, so I placed it in the roasting pan, the turkey wasn't giving off any liquid for me to be concerned about it getting soggy)  and bake for 35 minutes, until softened but not browned.

Let potatoes and garlic cool.  When cool enough to handle, peel potatoes and place in a large bowl.  Squeeze garlic cloves from their skins and add to the bowl.  Make sure the garlic is well mashed or chop it.  We had large chunks in ours, that were not as appetizing when the pieces are so big.  Add broth and use a potato masher to mash until smooth.  Stir in rosemary, salt and pepper.

Coat a baking dish with cooking spray.  Add potato mixture, using a spatula to smooth top.  Transfer  to oven and bake for 20 minutes.  Serve hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment