Saturday, November 26, 2011

Crock Pot White Beans and Sausage

I discovered how to make beans in a crock pot when trying the recipe for white beans on The Happy Housewife blog.  I adapted her recipe to make it more cajun/southern.  I make red beans like this too.


Ingredients:
1 lb dry white beans (Northern Beans)
1 small onion, diced
1 Bell Pepper
2-3 Jalapenos
3 -5 banana peppers (optional)
1 large stalk of fresh Rosemary
3 links of cajun andoille sausage, sliced
1 large piece of  tasso ham or a ham hock
l carton of Chicken Broth, preferably organic
cornbread or rice, for serving

Directions:
Rinse beans, then soak overnight.  I add a capful of apple cider vinegar to my soaking beans, its optional.  I was told it helps prevent gas later.  Not real sure it works though.  :)  

Drain the water, then place beans, sausage, tasso ham onion, peppers, rosemary, salt and pepper  in the crock pot. Add the 32 oz carton of chicken stock to the beans.  Cook on high for 6-8 hours.  Serve with cornbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment